Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Conversations With Women

  Growing up I was definitely not what you would call "housewife material". A self-proclaimed tomboy, with not much more than random t-shirts and jeans in my drawers. Girly-girls use to bug me and I just never got along with them. While I had a couple of friends who were girls when I was younger, they were never really the girly type either. And once I started getting older, it seemed that all of my friends were guys. I just found that I related to them more. I would have much rather played video games and climbed trees than do my makeup and sit around talking about boys while completely surrounded by pink things everywhere. (which is what I assume they all did when we were younger).
  And then somewhere along the line, something changed. I'm not sure if I could pinpoint an exact time or location because it was such a gradual process. But at the same time it seemed like an overnight transformation. Where one day I was talking about zombies and gore and the next I was talking about makeup and dresses. So I guess I'm either evolving (or devolving). Maybe it's just taken me this long to figure out that those girls when I was younger knew something that I didn't. Now this is not to say that I don't still enjoy talking about those things, but my focus has now shifted. And I guess more than anything, I find myself relating more and more to women. And in the process it's sparked some very interesting conversations.
  I sometimes still feel like Jane Goodall, studying these creatures and their movements and personalities. Learning how to live among them without standing out like a sore thumb (or a human among monkeys). But everyday I'm learning from them, these strong and amazing women that I surround myself with. I never knew that women were even having these conversations. Not only are they taking about things like makeup and hair (which is all I ever saw from a distance), but they are talking about these deeply personal things. And I was never one to have personal conversations, or really talk about myself at all. (Well that's obviously changed!) Now I find myself talking with women I just met about concerns and fears that I may have. Admitting things to them, that I've just barely started admitting to myself. But they get it. And they relate. And then they share their stories. Then we cry or laugh or just smile to ourselves and be happy with the fact that someone else understands what you're going through, or dealing with, or is excited about. (or maybe that's just me). And it's different than how a man gets it. The difference between sympathy and empathy. I know that this all must sounds so elementary to most of you, but I never really got it until now. And I'm really glad that I do.
  I am really happy to be a part of these conversations, and to be a part of something so special. This experience has really opened my eyes and really got me talking to people that I wouldn't have normally talked to. And I've been loving ever minute of it!
 Thanks so much to all of the amazing women in my life. I learn so much from you everyday! And I promise that tomorrow I'll go back to talking about my amazing husband. :P
 

No comments:

Post a Comment