Monday, July 8, 2013

The Countdown has Begun

  In less than one week we will be moving into our new house! (Well, it's new to us.) Since closing a couple of weeks back, Ryan and I have been busy going through and packing up our possessions. I have been a little worried about how we would fill our new home with the items we have but, now that we've packed up most of it, I'm a little worried our new house might not be big enough!
  I've been trying really hard to remain organized and marking all of the boxes as specific as I can to make the unpacking process as easy as possible. I was a lot better about it towards the beginning, and now just kind of throwing the last few knick-knacks where ever they will fit. One of the many benefits of being a homemaker is actually having the time to "make the home" once we move!
  I've, of course, been "pinning" tons of advice on packing and moving, but most of them seem to be for cross-country moving. We are fortunate enough to only be moving a few miles away from where we currently are and live rather close to a lot of my side of the family who will be talked into helping us move! (Hey, it's finally payback for all of the things I help them with!) The best advice I can give is:

  • Start packing as soon as possible (and don't drag it out!):
    • The sooner you get everything packed up and ready to go the more time you'll have to focus on other things towards the end of your time being in your "old" place, like making sure you've updated your address with your family, friends, doctors, magazine subscriptions, bank, and notifying your utility providers. Yes, your house might be a wreck for a little bit, but having it ready to go will be a weight off your shoulders (until you actually have to move it!). 
    • I had Ryan help me pack a bag like we were going on vacation for a few weeks and everything else got boxed up. I even packed up all of our bathroom stuff and am putting to good use my stock of hotel shampoo, conditioners and soaps that I've been saving for a rainy day.
  • Put stuff in things:
    • I know, pretty obvious one here, but I don't simply mean "books in boxes" (although you should do that too), I mean put all of those empty spaces to good use. When moving, whether it's a long distance or not, space becomes very valuable. Plus the fewer trips you have to make the better (especially in this heat wave we've been having in Utah). The kitchen is the best place that I've found to put this advice to good use. Mixing bowls, Crockpot, rice cooker, bread maker; these all have empty spaces in the middle and make the perfect vessels for all of those little kitchen gadgets and spices that you have! Just remember to check all those pots and pans when you're unpacking, otherwise you'll spend a lot of money replacing all of those things that you'll think have gone missing in the move.
  • Pizza and Root Beer:
    • My family, unlike my friends that have helped me move in the past, doesn't drink beer, but any drink will do. *important note: make sure to have plenty of cold water bottles handy for the actual "moving" portion of the day and save the specialty drinks for when the food is served at the end. Never underestimate the power of a free meal!
  Closing on this house has been a long process that's taken a lot out of us, but now that it's getting closer to moving day our spirits are definitely lifting. I can't wait to get settled in and begin turning our house into a home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment